Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mini Digital Reviews

I've decided that my review of digital comics will be two fold:

  1. Mini-reviews of the digi-titles I "picked up" this week.
  2. A running record of the pros and cons of digital v. print.
The latter will be a separate post that I will keep adding to and updating.  I'm not sure how it will show up, so I may need to re-date it from time to time.

So here are my mini-digi-reviews this week. Completely quick thoughts.

Action Comics #1

Action Comics has been around and I have NEVER followed it (other than the iconic first issue image you see everywhere) so this will be a review from a newbie.

Re-cap:  A vengeful Superman uses "everyday" villain Mr. Glenmorgan, shrewd business man who uses cheap labor, violates safety standards and bribes officials to get away with it to show his fight for justice for the poor and the "everyman." Concerned about this new "hero," Lex Luthor, bent on rebuilding Metropolis despite the poor who live there, enlists General Lane in the fight against Superman.

What Soars:  This series brings the villains to a "human" level that many today can still identify with.  The rich keep getting richer even in our poor economy and everyone seems to be looking the other way. If our system work bring about swift justice, someone has to.

What Crashes:  I'm not sure if Superman is "jeans and workboots" in the original Action Comics.  The jeans and workboots really say "I'm a working man, just like you.  Identify with me." But the shortsleeved, tight fitting top over the bulging muscles says, "I'm a roid-raged, sexually confused metrosexual looking for some Tina and a hot night of fist pumping."  It's not working for me. Especially considering how raggedy and old Clark Kent appears.



Batgirl #1

Batgirl has always fascinated me since Yvonne Craig danced around the screen in Batman reruns when I was a kid. Beautiful and tough, I had to pick this up.


Re-cap:  "The Mirror" is enacting is own brand of justice, determining the fates of people who survived tragedy when others did not. On his list:  Barbara Gordon. Elsewhere, a Barbara Gordon who survived the shooting by the Joker and recovered from paralysis, is back stopping serial killers from attacking a family.  However, in a moment of fear facing "The Mirror," her inaction results in a man's death. Is she good or bad?

What Soars:  There was a ton of story in this issue and it never seemed rushed or convoluted.  It felt like this was twice as long as an average issue, in a good way.  I am ALWAYS a fan of a strong woman who can hold her own in a fight.  I'm also huge when a "super" human is afflicted by and makes normal human mistakes.

What Crashes:  Seriously?  You rode your Batcycle up to the 14th floor of the hospital in an elevator? The fleshtone color of the boots, gloves and emblem have got to go.  You're not Powergirl. And that tiltle page.  Wow!  Do you really fly through the air in "full splits" position? I feel like I'm watching Kathy Griffin's gyno exam in high-rise Gotham.


Superboy #1

I know very little about Superboy other than pieces I've gathered from 52, Blackest Night and Smallville.  I know Superboy is hotter than Superman.  I know he'd be the product if that cute gay couple Clark and Lex had a genetically created child. I know Superboy is hotter than Superman. Oh, did I say that already? Really. I'm not a pedo.

Re-cap:  A genetic experiment combining the DNA of Superman with Lex Luthor has produced "Superboy." Feeling he is showing no signs of life, the scientists want to destroy him, but one doctor, Red, is sure his consciousness lies on a higher level.  When they try to destroy him, the scientists are all killed.  Despite her failed tests to prove he is ready for the world, Superboy is "released" by the man behind the money.

What Soars:  I really like the "processing"icon that appears in the middle of a panel where Superboy is thinking.  It makes me think of my phone and reminds me that he is more like a self aware computer than anything else.  A hot one. I also like that he is to be the solution to the "problem" Zaniel has with the Teen Titans.  I just hope Superboy's drawn better in TT.

What Crashes:  Can someone please learn to draw some joint articulation, some feet and outlines that have dimension? I was looking at the full page pic of Superboy post-"escape" and he looks like a bad version of my friend Amy's William and Kate paper dolls. Oh. And can you say "deer in headlights"? Everyone.

Sorry for the late recap.  I now the week's over, but these might still inspire you to check out a new title or two.

And as always, if you agree or totally think I'm full of crap, let me know in comments below.

No comments: