Tuesday, September 6, 2011

21st Century Digital Boy?

Tomorrow is "New Comic Book Wednesday," and I'm facing a serious dilemma plaguing most readers these days, regardless of genre. "Print or digital?"

As an English teacher, I've struggled with this for a long time.  I always thought, "I have to hold and feel and smell the book in my hands.  I need to have a collection that I can see and display and share (never to be returned again)."  But when I got an e-reader (brand name withheld), my thoughts on digital books began to change.  Yes, I still have my favorites that I'll always want a bound copy of, but what I really want are the words, and I have them all digitally.  Backed up in at least three places.

But my struggle to go digital with comic books is more intense.  Comics have that VISUAL storytelling element that is so integral to the concept itself.  Like film stock, an original comic has that clarity that you can see, even if it is the tiny dots that make up the printing process. And let's face it, comic books are collectible and could be worth some money in the future.  That's right, I said could.  Seriously? It's like playing lotto.  For all the money I spend on books, bags, boards and storage boxes, I MAY see some ROI if I ever decide to get rid of them.  I only have two TPBs that are autographed, and as for investment longevity, who would I pass them on to?  No kids here.

But digital comics are so much easier to store, take up less space, and truly do have that high definition quality that allows me to see ALL the detail. I can even zoom in to examine in more detail (as my vision heads south, this is pretty crucial for me). For inexperienced comic book readers, the "Guided Reading" feature makes understanding "which way to go next" an easier decision.  Seriously, in some of the more recent, chaotic storylines, I don't know which way is up.  I read the whole page and then figure out the order afterward.  I can also buy issues from the comforts of my home and not have to drive to the comic book store.  But experiencing the Mile High Comics environment is half the fun.

With digital servers, all of my books can be stored, I can access any issue quickly, and I can carry countless issues with me to read on airplanes, vacations or waiting rooms.  Considering how far behind I am, I wish most of my collection was digital right now.  Of course, I'll never be able to get an autograph on a digital copy.   And one last thing. No Ads (and truly this is good AND bad for both me and the industry).

So weighing all the pros and cons, I've made my decision.  

Tomorrow, I will buy my #1 issues of the New 52 in print. Old habits die hard.  BUT, as the series progress, I promise to buy later issues in digital.  I'm running out of room in my house and I can't afford a climate-controlled storage space. But for now, my decision is what makes the most sense for me.

Where do you stand on digital v. print?  Is there something I haven't considered?
 Let me know! 

No comments: