Sunday, February 26, 2012

Decisions: Batgirl and Wonder Woman

This time, it's two big girls who can hold their own.  No help needed.

Warning: Most likely contains spoilers.

Issue #3
Batgirl
Issues #2 and #3

Re-cap:  Barbara Gordon is trying to get back in the game of Gotham crime-fighting and her target is the Mirror, a god-complex vengeance criminal who is righting the miracles with justice.  In his own life, a miracle saved him from a car fire where the rest of his family burned.  Since then, he is carrying out killing those people who should have already died. Batgirl is on his list.  Meanwhile, Barbara is constantly having to prove, to her father and to Nightwing, that she can take care of herself.  Even though doctors have told her to take it easy or her condition could deteriorate, she's back in full-force.

What Soars: I like that Batgirl is back although I'm not sure how she was ale to recover from her paralysis.  I guess that's sci-fi.  Anything can happen.  I'm also interested in this Mirror criminal.  It's an interesting concept and I'm excited to see how it plays out.  Unfortunately, this guy doesn't seem like he'll have a long career in Gotham crime.

What Crashes:  I realize that Barbara and Dick have a history together and that they are in this never-ending flirtation cycle, but bringing him in to Issue 3 just seemed like needless filler.  I felt like I was watching a bad Lifetime movie as Nightwing tried to convince her that they were concerned because they love her.  Barf.  If she was a man, would they still be having the conversation? No. Point made.

Decision: I'm going to finish this story arc off because I want to see who Mirror is and how this conflict plays itself out, but when it's done, I'm done.  


Issue #2
Wonder Woman
Issues #2 and #3

Re-cap:  Diana returns to Paradise Island with Zola and Hermes because it is the only place she can protect Zola.  Zola is carrying Zeus' baby and a jealous Hera will stop at nothing to kill the child.  Strife arrives at Paradise Island and the Amazons attack. Her powers turn them on each other and mass slaughter ensues.  While grieving, we learn that Diana's origin story, being molded from clay, is untrue and she is actually a daughter of Zeus which puts her in even more danger from Hera.  Angered and ashamed, she leaves Paradise Island and vows never to return.

Issue #3
What Soars: I really (and I do mean really) like that the Wonder Woman story gets back to its origins in mythology.  While seeing her battle alien and real-world criminals is exciting, I get enough of that in Justice League and any other title.  Going back to some of our world's legends and myths is truly fun for me even if they are modernized.  It's why I liked the Percy Jackson series so much.

What Crashes:  I'm not sure.  There's just something about this series that hits me the wrong way and I can't pinpoint it.  The art is acceptable in most cases, the story is interesting although common place (Hera wants to kill Zeus' illegitimate child. Isn't this a career for her?) but maybe it's because it's either not going fast enough or because they are spending too much side time on Diana's backstory.  Maybe you should be the judge. And Wonder Woman is a little too barrel chested for me in most panels. Frown.

Decision: I'm going to follow this through Issue #6.  It's a natural stopping point in most books and I want to see how it plays out. Maybe by then I'll have figured out what's bothering me.

All images copyright DC Comics and used under the guidelines of Fair Use.

No comments: